By now, you are probably familiar with Facebook and what it is; in fact, chances are that you are already addicted to it. In their own words, Facebook is a social utility that connects you with people around you.
The success of this site is a great example of Web 2.0: we have passed from being strictly consumers, to become great contributors of the Internet content. On Facebook, users can publish almost everything: posts (editorials), photos, videos, create groups and even create classified ads.
Facebook started as a school-only site; but since opening the site to everyone, they have experienced and continue to experience very impressive growth, with an even more impressive user engagement. Let’s look at the numbers:
- Has 43 million active users, with the number doubling every 6 months!
- 50% of users return to the site at least once a day.
- A typical Facebook user is 25 years or older.
- 5th site in number of Page views
- 1st photo site
Impressed yet? Well, lets see the numbers for in Canada in, one of the countries with greatest reception of Facebook:
- 6 million active users (1 in ever 5 Canadians!)
- 9 out of the top 30 cities (in terms of memberships) are Canadian including
- #2 for Toronto (with 800.000) users
- #3 Vancouver
In fact, a Development Camp series (2 conferences) hold in Toronto in August and October respectively, drew crowd of 1000 people in total.
New, Exciting Opportunities